My experience with the baby bottle lab was a struggle. Leaving behind busted nipples and many manly tears. But I am proud to say that I was able to make my baby bottle go the full length of six hundred centimeters. The experiment was truly a trial by fire ordeal. I started off by only going fifty centimeters, but slowly and many trials later I found the winning baking soda to vinegar ratio to push my baby bottle the distance. All together the experiment took me at least five attempts to find the acceptable amounts to use. The biggest problem I probably faced in this lab was the vinegar. This was due to fact that the solution of vinegar we were given was only 5% acidity. As a result of this the amount of vinegar had to be massive compared to the amount of baking soda. This threw my stoichiometric amounts for a loop but I later found out how to balance them once again.
First a stoichiometry review:
Stoichiometric amounts determine limiting reactants through numbers given and how much product can be made from them. For example a to make a car you need four tires and two headlights. But if you have four tires and three headlights ( these two are our stoichiometric amounts) this makes one car with a headlight left over. These amounts can determine our limiting and excess reactants, and we know the tires are the limiting because they are all used up and the headlight is the excess because one is left over.
The baby bottle lab turned out well for me in the end. If I could do anything differently I definitely change the bottle I used. This was because my bottle was all beat up and bruised and it didn’t look to hydro-dynamic. If used a bottle with less flat features i’m pretty sure it would reduce the time needed to get to the finish greatly. But, all in all, the experiment was fun and I had no real complaints about it.